Wild Rice and Mushroom Stuffing
½ cup uncooked wild rice
4 cups day old French bread, cubed
½ cup butter
1 large yellow or white onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced thin
1 teaspoon fresh sage, minced
3-4 sprigs fresh thyme, minced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
1 cup chicken broth
½ cup coarsely chopped pecans
- Rinse and cook wild rice according to package directions. Set aside.
- Set oven to broil. Spread bread cubes on a baking sheet. Broil for a few minutes until lightly toasted, stirring every couple of minutes. Set aside.
- Set oven to 325F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and garlic, and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until fragrant and starting to turn translucent. Add fresh thyme and mushrooms and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add sage, salt, pepper and cooked wild rice. Cook for just another minute, and stir in broth. Add pecans and toasted bread, toss to evenly distribute ingredients.
- Butter a large 9×13 casserole dish. Transfer mushroom stuffing to casserole and press lightly to even out. Cover tightly, and bake for about 40 minutes, or just until hot all the way through.