Mushroom and Walnut Stuffing
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus a bit more to oil the baking dish
2 large onions, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
10 ounces fresh crimini or button mushrooms, diced
1 ½ tablespoons fresh sage, minced
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
½ cup white wine
1 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
1 loaf French bread, cut into cubes and toasted
1 ½ cups turkey (or chicken) broth
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, add a tablespoon of the olive oil, onions and celery. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until onion becomes fragrant and begins to turn translucent, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
3. Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the same skillet. Add mushrooms, sage and thyme, season lightly with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often until mushrooms are golden brown, about 5 minutes or so.
4. Add wine and cook, scraping up any browned bits, until wine has almost fully evaporated. Transfer mushroom mixture to bowl with the vegetables.
5. To the mixing bowl, add walnuts, bread and enough broth to moisten thoroughly, but not so much it’s soggy. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper.
6. Add eggs and toss well to combine. If using for turkey, stuff turkey lightly. Place remaining stuffing into a lightly oiled 9×13 baking dish. Bake, uncovered until golden brown on top, about 30 minutes or so.