- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ pound green lentils
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes, with juices
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 large bunch kale, stemmed and chopped
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil. Cook onion and carrot until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook an additional minute.
- Stir in lentils, tomatoes and tomato juices, and chicken stock. Cover and cook at a simmer until lentils are softened, about 45 minutes. Add kale, lemon zest and lemon juice, stirring well and cook for about 5 minutes, or until kale is well wilted. Taste and adjust for seasoning.