How to Make Mashed Potatoes
2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (or Russets if you can’t find Yukon Golds) peeled and cubed
1 Tbl kosher salt
1/2 cup cream
3 tablespoons butter
Kosher salt, and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Place potatoes in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Add half the salt. Barely cover potatoes with cold water, and place over medium high heat.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes or so. You want the potatoes to be fork tender – easily pierced with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan over low heat, warm cream and butter. Don’t allow it above a simmer – you just want to warm it before adding it to the hot potatoes later.
- When potatoes are done, drain through a col
- Taste, and adjust for salt and pepper.