- ¾ cup brown lentils, dry
- ¼ cup red lentils
- 4 cups water
- 5-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter (ghee)
- ½ white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
- Soak brown and red lentils in cold water for 1 hour. Drain and rinse.
- Place lentils into a Dutch oven or large heavy bottomed saucepan. Add water, garlic, salt, coriander, cayenne and turmeric. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cover.
- Simmer until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add clarified butter to a medium skillet over medium heat. Saute onions for about 7-10 minutes, or until soft and golden brown. Sir in cumin and cook an additional minute.
- Stir sautéed onions and milk into lentils. Bring back to a simmer and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes, for the flavors to marry. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve. Flatbreads are great with this curry.